Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas

We had a wonderful, blessed Christmas this year. The kiddos were in good humor and Mr. Workin' and I made it through with nary a snarl.
My parents were here Wednesday evening through Sunday morning. We all enjoyed each other, and I was sad to see them go.
Of course there were too many toys. I do wish I could somehow get ahold of the buying for them that goes on. It's my ego that keeps me buying. I suppose we should follow the advice of some sage mothers and just not give gifts from us. The grandparents more than make-up the difference. As the children get older we will do more to give of our time as a family to those less fortunate. Already this year there is a pile of gifts that I pulled aside after they were opened. I will quietly donate them and they will never be missed.
We continue to tweak our traditions every year that passes. Eating our Christmas eve dinner before mass worked out nicely, but it will be easier when napping is no longer a requirement for the kiddos.
I still don't have out Christmas cards out (by the New Year they will be). With all the modern conveniences of communication, I hate to see card giving go away. There is something nostalgic for me in the sending and receiving of holiday cards.
Our Christmas dinner was served later than I had intended, but it turned out well. I think it is important to keep our holiday meals as close to regular meal times for the sake of the little kids.

Tips for 2010
*No gifts big gifts from us.
*No cheese tray for Christmas eve dinner.
*Make the bread dough the day before Christmas eve.
*Just decorate cookies after mass.

No comments: