Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Season of Field Trips

This post really should be accompanied by pictures. However that would require a level of organization that I only dream about these days. With the three older kids in school, we have had many adventures this spring. We opened with a Kindergarten trip to the Montana Fish and Parks and Giant Springs Fish Hatchery. Apparently, Ella even tried on a bear skin. Mac, Fara, and I only joined for the hatchery portion. Do you have any idea how any times a five year old will comment on the smell of their surroundings? Let me tell ya! And I must admit the hatchery reeked. Next up, Ella, Mac, Fara and I joined Wyeth's class on a trip to Mrs. Henning's farm. Again, seven year olds will do quite a bit of commenting on the conditions. It also smelled to high heaven. Mrs. Henning showed us how to care for a horse but, brushing and saddling it. She also mounted the beast. It's difficult to make that look easy if you aren't in pretty good shape. There was giggling by some of the kiddos. Next we got to meet the pigs. Babe, the boar, weighs in at 1000 lbs. That is a lot of pig. We also met four piglets that were so cute. The first graders got a chance to offer the pigs a snack of donuts or cantaloupe rinds. My non-pork eating friend was horrified I would eat an animal that eats glazed donuts. I say she doesn't know what she is missing. Mr. Workin’ stepped in and attended the next 1st grade field trip to the Dinosaur museum in Bynum. I am so relieved he did too. I wasn’t excited to figure out what to do with the other three children. Bynum is a hour and a half away. Mr. Workin’ seemed to enjoy the experience. Maybe he can take it with all the other children as well. And lastly, Mac and I walked to the Fire Station with Fara and her class. It was short and sweet. The fire fighters where great with the kiddos. They got all suited up and reminded the students they should crawl on the floor and say, “I am here” when in a fire. Also not to be afraid! I love having so many children and so many fun opportunities with them. I also love being able to not have a job, so I am able to join the fun.

No comments: