Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I want a baby...

Isn't wanting a baby a funny thing? There have been times in my life when I really, really wanted a baby, when wanting a baby was the worst thing I could imagine, and when wanting a baby only lasted moments at a time.
Have have several friends that are unable to have a baby for one reason or another. Their pain is so palpable. I also have a handful of friends with secondary infertility. I am not sure which would be worse. Once, you have had a baby, shouldn't you just be thankful for the baby or babies you already have? On the other hand, if you know you can do it, wouldn't it be awful to feel like it had been taken away from you?
I have wanted to be a mama for as long as I can remember. I made a point in my life to go to school, get married and then have a babies. When I decided it was time to have a baby, there was nothing stopping me. And here I am six years later and I am starting to feel that huge all consuming pull again.
If you want a baby, try all the means at your disposal to conceive a baby, and don't get one, when do you stop trying to have one? There are so many different circumstances, but it just breaks my heart that women have to face this.
My friend in Oregon adopted a couple of kids, that was awesome for her and her family, but adoption isn't a blanket solution. And there are two people involved in infertile couple, what about if one person finds adoption a solution and the other doesn't?
Children are incredibly hard one a marriage. Young children are needy and physically draining. But I would think lack of children could be just as dangerous. If you love someone and assume that part of your role together include parenting, what happens? I am not sure. Mr. Workin' has said, he isn't sure we could have stayed together without children. We both cam to the table with a huge desire to parent.
I feel like I would have to redefine myself without the role of mommyhood. Children are an huge mirror for your own issues. There is nothing like watching your children to see some of your biggest short comings or fears in life.
It's just occurring to me, I think it would be nice to have been forced to look at myself outside of parenthood. There are times I feel lost in the abyss.
Maybe I will find myself in another baby?

No comments: