Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Christmas Giving

This is one of those topics I have have been mulling over in my head off and on for years. I want to impress upon my children that giving is better than receiving. There shouldn't be stress and panic about what to give. I am torn about Christmas lists even. It's nice to get people things they want...I guess. Hardly anyone we buy for needs a single thing, my children included. We are all so self- indulgent.
Then on the flip side there is instilling the graciousness it takes to accept ALL gifts given to you. Even if your aunt is horrible at assuming what you would find beautiful, she still needs to feel your gratitude. And even if you receive the book you want but it isn't a brand new copy, isn't the content the same?
There always comes a point during every year that I throw up my hands and say the Hayes are having a card printed up that says something along the lines of ....
We have donated $________ in your name to the __________ ( and then choose the organization that I feel like the person likes or would want to support). My friend, Colette is suggesting giving time and talent and I agree with that one as well.
Consumerism is an ugly beast. I am not sure how to navigate the line between loving all that is Christmas time gift giving for the sake of my babes, and wanting to show them a more realistic and responsible way to show what the word gifts truly encompasses.

No comments: