Saturday, February 14, 2009

Chubby, Husky, Big, Bigger...More to Love

So, what crosses your mind when you see a woman that is not her ideal weight? Do you think, "oh my, she must come from a big family?" or "honey, you don't you don't have to eat ALL your emotions," or "shit, it wouldn't hurt you to hit the treadmill a couple time a week." To be honest with you, I have thought all these things about people I have seen, just today. And the kicker is, I am HUGE! Morbidly obese by the BMI charts.
Where is all this judgement coming from? And am I MORE judgemental than the next guy? I know well the hurt that all the above thoughts can cause, yet I am still thinking them. I want to believe that fat people are lazy, bottom line.
So, tell me...am I more harsh? Or am I pretty on target?

2 comments:

Michelle Withers said...

I'm going to think out loud here for a moment. Not being "skinny" myself and knowing I definately can judge or question others, your post made me stop and think. I don't know if I am able to think like this all the time, but when I see someone over weight, I really try to think instead of being lazy, that sure, there is a lack of "physical activity." But then second, "what is making them hurt, such that they may be eating their feelings?"
I am worried that those things you are thinking about "others" are really things you are thinking about yourself. I'm concerned that you are saying these awful things to the wonderful lady I know, Donde. I don't care so much about what you think of others, but what you are thinking about yourself. I know when I like myself better, I am always better to others.
It is hard for me to believe that you would think of yourself as "lazy." You are so busy and accomplished. But I think you are thinking even more than that and are being very hard on yourself. Love you, I know I do and so does God.

Three's Company said...

Earlier in my life, I may have thought those things. Now, I just feel bad kind of because there are elements in our lives that we can control and sometimes weight is one of them and sometimes weight isn't one of them. Much of the time, I think that you are fearfully and wonderfully made and you are exactly who you are supposed to be. No matter the weight. You never know what others are going through. And, you never know what "skinny" people are torturing themselves over either.