Friday, March 12, 2010

Little Mercer dog...

Mercer is a year old at this point and the little shit needs to be trained. However, finding the time to do so isn't high on my list. It's not fair to be angry with him all the time, but I am finding myself do just that. He is a source of frustration lately.
He has taken to finding something to shred while we are out of the house. Growing up we always had a dog and it never had to be kennelled that I can remember. When we got Mercer, and he was so easy to potty train, I was excited to find that he could be trusted just hang out anywhere he pleased while our family was out of the house.
I have been quite busy in the last several months and the dog's behavior is reflecting my absence. I know that he will get on the dining room table if there is food left sitting, but that is rarely the case, so it seems he has broadened his scope of mischief.
I would love to nip this little problem in the bud. And really, the fastest way I can figure is to kennel Mercer while we are out of the house. I would love to find that a walk right before I left the house would lessen the problem. On the other hand, it will take major effort to leave the house for even five minutes before I am scheduled to leave.
Maybe I should take him with me more often. Would he be happy sitting in the car instead of the house? If he torn up the car in any way, he would be murdered at the hand of Mr. Workin'.
I know what it takes to be a good pet owner. It's a commitment, one that I promised myself I could handle. I guess it's time I make little Mercer dog a priority. I will pull out the kennel and research some obiesence classes.
SIGH

No comments: