Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Things that make me who I am...

I have struggled with my personality and role of mother not entirely meshing. Rabbi Schumley points out that we should always rise above our emotions to be a better parent. We are responsible for getting it right and setting an example all the time, in every situation.
Well, our house is seriously shy of hitting anything remotely close to those goals. I am who I am first and my parenting role fits into that. I run too hot, I get too mad, I say things I don't mean. And does this make me a bad mom? I don't really think so. Instead of being paralysed by the fear of bad parenting, I am going to take it as a parenting opportunity. When I get too mad, or say ugly things, I am left with an example for my children that I make mistakes, and that doesn't mean I don't love them. I am working at loving myself more too. We talk a lot about how we feel. And when mama yells the children are left "feeling". It's my responsibltiy to discuss with them how to feel better. This person I call myself hasn't changed much since my earliest memory. I am overly black and white. Parenting is not.
I am doing the best I can. I feel like I am a pretty good mom. I am not so prideful to think I am not making huge mistakes, or that I couldn't use some improvements.
So in there lies the law of attraction. I am a good mom, I WANT to be the best my children could ask for.

No comments: