Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Flu Shots....

It's that time of year again. I go rounds with our pediatrician. She is a firm believer with all things standardized (including flu shots), I am not.
I have received one flu shot in my life and it was many years ago. I wasn't crazy about getting that one and of course ended up with the flu days other. It's been said over and over you can not get the flu from the flu shot, but I ain't buyin' it.
The statistics I have heard about say your risks are only reduced by about 35-40% because ultimately it is a guessing game, as to which strains are effect the most people.
When I was pregnant with Ella the doctor didn't want me to receive a flu shot, and yet I just read pregnant SHOULD be vaccinated, because they pass that protection onto the unborn.
All three of my kiddlets received flu shots last year and all three ended up with the flu at some point during the winter. When I pointed this out to our doctor, she rebutted with, "But they didn't die, and that is was we are protecting against."
Mr. Work gets a flu shot EVERY fall and is a firm believer in them. So he sides with the doctor. The ads for flu shots are all over the media and billboards here in Montana. So who is really benefiting from the sale of flu shots. Our county health department in even offering a "drive-thru" clinic, where you don't even have to get out of your car. For $25 you drive by roll down your window and pull up your sleeve.
Maybe I was partake in a swine-flu clinic for my toddlers?
What to do, what to do...

No comments: