Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lenten Promises

Traditionally, an old habit is given up or a new habit is added during the Lent season as a way to prepare for the coming of Jesus. I have always looked at these Lent promises as a way to improve my relationship with God. By giving up something that will make me think of my desire to be closer to God several times a day. In the past, I have given up fried foods, soda, cussing, and sex, just to name a few. These things don't necessarily negatively affect my relationship with God, but rather they are things I enjoy and don't want to be without. There are also the years that I added...like trying to complete a random act of kindness daily.
This year, I think I will add and subtract. I desperately need to make some changes in my lifestyle for the sake of my health. Nothing like the 40 days of Lent to set you straight, right?
I am going to give up refined sugar. I am not exactly sure how to set the parameters, being that sugar is in EVERYTHING, but I am thinking some number of sugar grams in a day. For sure this will mean no sweet treats.
Additionally, I am going to complete some form of exercise everyday. Every. day.
These are going to be HUGE. But so is my desire to be closer to God.

No comments: